SHAPE Maryland is dedicated to helping physical education and health education teachers across the country as many local education agencies and schools are moving to distance and/or hybrid learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In response, SHAPE Maryland has created a collection of resources along with SHAPE America and other partnering organizations as well as PreK-12 health and physical educators to help you provide high-quality, standards-based lessons despite the circumstances. Adapt, repurpose or use the resources provided as you see fit to best meet the unique needs of your students. Be sure to bookmark this page and come back often as we will be adding content regularly.
Tips to Teaching in A Remote ENVIRONMENT
- Assess your curriculum- Do an inventory of your current curriculum and determine which lessons or activities can be repurposed as at-home work or for online use. There may be things you have already done that can easily be adapted for students to complete at home or online.
- Have a plan- Once you’ve figured out what you’re going to teach, be sure to explain it to parents and students. Explain where they can find materials, how they will submit their work (e.g. when we return to school) and what to do if there’s a problem (e.g. internet goes down, they can’t find an assignment).
- Create normalcy- Think about your daily routines and procedures. How can you translate them into an online environment? This will help students feel there’s some familiarity while realizing we’re still a class even though the medium is online. This could be students participating in a Mindful Minute or reflection activity.
- Revisit skills- When possible, try to make independent work a time to practice skills that were already previously taught. This may be easier to do when distance learning is for a short period time.
- Mix it up- Come up with different ways for students to demonstrate their learning. Can they make a slideshow or a video? Can they use video chat services to have discussions? Can they create a project or poster to display and share when they return to class? This is a great time for them to try new things to gain different experiences.
- Work together- We have a great support system within our HPE community! Share resources or ideas, ask questions and encourage one another. Remote or distance learning may be easier for some more than others, so let’s uplift and support each other during these unprecedented times